Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Confessions of a First Time Show Go-er: Day 1




Scottsdale Day 1:
I’ve spent a good chunk of my life fantasizing about horses. In fact, I was pretty certain I’d one day be the proud owner of a “world famous” Lipizzaner Stallion. I think I was a mistaken 10-year-old. After spending some time around Arabian horses and the people who love them, I’ve learned that they’re the horse I was imagining. . Upon the first impression of my first ever horse show, one thing is obvious: no one involved is short on passion. At this point it’s very clear to me that all of the horses and the humans are in it to win it. This might seem like an obvious statement to most of the people involved, but to the unknowing masses, like me, it’s a very new concept. As of now, day one is full of asking questions about what in the world a canter is supposed to be, why there are so many sequins, and what that horse color is called. Lucky for me I get to see this world through the lens of my camera, taking photographs documenting people I’ve never seen on horses maneuvering in the most delicate ways—which doesn’t seem possible for such big animals. I find myself quietly soaking in all of this new imagery and shiny new information on an entire culture existing next door to me that I didn’t even know was there. I’m excited to be in Scottsdale learning about this world from some of the most talented people in the business. 

-Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment