Friday, September 30, 2011

Getting Back in the Saddle


With work and school at the forefront of the general inconveniences of 'growing up', showing my horses has become very tough since aging out of the youth division. See, the one thing they forget to mention in the brochure on Growing Up is that you acquire these things called 'responsibilities'. These, in my opinion, are simply the equivalent to trading in your freedom for a sustainable, reliable, and therefore boring lifestyle. Boo. But there is one sort-of positive in a more minimal horse show schedule, and I've come up with a hypothesis to back it. "If attending horse shows causes strain on your usual schedule, making the frequency of your attendance at these shows decline, then you will learn to truly appreciate your horses and the feeling you get once you're back in the show ring." (My apologies, I was a Biology major for 3 years.)

After a couple years of testing, I have significant data to prove this hypothesis correct. I was on a horse show hiatus after Regionals in June, and the time off definitely had me itching to get back in the show ring. I was finally able to show again this fall at the Iowa Gold Star with my English horse, Taco. It was so amazing to be back in the show ring. The minute I got back into my blue suit and into the spacious arena, I realized how much I love my horses and being able to show. There is no better feeling in the world. When I'm on my horse in the show ring, I feel more confident and true to myself than I do in any other situation in my life.

I am also very pleased to announce that I will be showing this upcoming weekend at Minnesota Fall Fest with my new boy, Ames Celebration. I've only ridden him twice, but I'm just happy I get to practice before U.S. Nationals. Yes, I know what you're thinking. "Yeah right, girl. You had one brief hiatus, but get to show all the time!" My critics, I can assure you I've never been able to show into September before, and this will be my first time at U.S. Nationals. I am so lucky to have these opportunities and the unmatched support of my family. My horse show quota is finally being filled, and I couldn't be happier!






No comments:

Post a Comment