Thursday, June 23, 2011

Youth Nationals II: The Roses

"I Dream of Latte"

It was Youth Nationals 2003, and I was riding in the 13& under Half Arabian Hunter Pleasure class with my mare Cafe Latte. We only made it into one final that year because Latte, in a bout of unpredictability, decided to kick out at a horse and break from the canter in the other section's cut class. Funny how mares can be isn't it? But luckily we made it into this final and all was well so far. I kept a considerable distance from all other horses in an attempt to keep my tempermental mare from blowing a gasket. My head was a swivel, constantly scanning the ring in all directions. 

The announcer called for the last trot and then, finally, for the horses to line up. Whew! We made it through the entire class blow-up free, an excellent feat at the time. The judges completed their final tallying and the class of half Arabian hunters were excused from the arena. Waiting in the paddock, my nerves were at their peak, anxiously waiting for the coveted "call" of results from Tingley to the outside announcer. My heart skipped a giant beat when the loud ring jingled with intensity, and every rider's eyes glued to the paddock announcer as he picked up the phone and jotted down the lucky numbers who would be receiving a top ten. Trainers sped over to the list, hoping to see if their rider on the elite list of the class. My trainer, Deb, took part in this mad rush, and upon scanning the list, her facial expression had no change. This had me prepared for bad news, however, when she looked up at me, she gave me a big smile and two thumbs up in approval. I let out a huge sigh in relief and patted my chestnut mare's neck in appreciation and awe.

The top ten horses formed a line in numerical order outside the arena, preparing to reenter and receive their top ten ribbon. When the announcer called my number, I came in proud, hearing the resounding cheers of my family and friends yelling from the stands. Upon reaching the far end of the arena with the rest of the top ten, I parked in the middle so I could get a good view of the reserve and champion when they got their picture taken. The announcer's booming voice overpowed all other sounds in Tingley as he called out the reserve champion. A big, striking bay took the title and trotted to get his roses. And then it was time for the champion. I glanced around at the other horses, placing bets inside my head on who would take home the roses. But, then something unbelievable interrupted my thoughts. A very, very familiar song started playing: "the Feather Song" from the movie Forrest Gump- MY pattern song. I couldn't believe my ears! In complete and utter shock, I threw my arms around Latte's neck and began to cry in pure astonishment.  And as I shakily rode over to the picture area, I could see everyone was crying in amazement and joy- my family, friends, and trainer. I had won my first National Championship, a moment that I had dreamt of since my first Youth Nationals 4 years before. I rode out of the arena on top of the world, trying to take in every detail of the moment, as I knew it would be something I would never forget. 



Cafe Latte






No comments:

Post a Comment