Monday, June 20, 2011

Peace, Love, and Anxiety

Horses are incredibly intuitive animals. We've all heard that horses have the ability to sense fear, which is entirely true, however, what about their ability to sense other feelings? From past experiences, I believe that horses are very keen in reading all sorts of emotion, both on the ground and while you're riding them. Perceptiveness of a horse doesn't just come and go with certain emotions, it resonates into all aspects of human emotion.



When I'm feeling blue, I know where to go. I don't call my friends; I don't eat a pint of ice cream; I just go to the barn and visit my horses. Even the nostalgic smell of the barn helps speed up the process. Upon entering the far corner of my horse's stall, he eagerly spins his neck around to see who's stepped in. His welcoming ears pop forward, and with his neck down and relaxed, he saunters over to me. I caress his face with my hands as he searches my sweatshirt and jean pockets for treats, only to come up empty hoofed. The vibe is different between us today, and we can both sense it. He isn't nipping at shirt or shoving his head into me playfully, he is simply listening to my down emotion, letting me hug his neck in understanding.



And over the years, something really amazing has happened. Not only are my horses able to sense and feed off my emotion, but I can also reciprocate the favor. Often times, before a class or just during a taxing workout, I'll feel my horse start to brace in bridle, tighten in the poll, and tense up in his body. He is feeling anxious and on edge, and I need to do something before he has a full blown panic attack. The last thing he needs is a nervous wreck behind the wheel, so I loosen up my body and mind as much as possible. I comfort him slow and consistent cues, attempting to relax his tense, pre-show jitters. I picture his mind running with hundreds of wind-up toys that simply need a few moments of tranquility to wind down and clear out. And usually, my quiet confidence makes peace of the stressful situation and puts everyone involved at ease.



Whether it is the best of days or the worst of days, my horse has always been there for me, and no matter his condition, he always responds to me the way I need him to. And now that I find myself identifying with my horse's emotions more than ever, the least I can to do is pay it forward. I will forever offer my horses the same sort of solitude and understanding I have received from them over the years, because the relationship between horse and rider should be a mutual one, after all!





No comments:

Post a Comment