Saturday, August 27, 2011

Time to Heal

One of the toughest situations for a horse owner to go through is when an injury strikes and the only bit of hope lies in the recovery. Whether it's a matter of a quick stall rest or a potentially career ending injury, it's never an easy thing for you or your horse to deal with. From the beginning, the news from the vet is exactly what you dreaded hearing. As you look at the X-rays, your eyes inevitably fill with tears and you're forced into the mindset of the 'future'. However, the not-so-wonderful thing about horses is that they are unable to tell you where it hurts, and worse yet, every time you ask the tell-all question: "on a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the pain?", they don't exactly deliver the answer you're looking for. Against your wildest dreams, your horse has yet to reply by stomping his hoof in correspondence to his level of pain, therefore leaving a constant air of uncertainty in the recovery process. Is he feeling better? How long is the perfect amount of time to cure his lameness? These are questions often answered by professionals, however, when it comes to horses, the 'perfect' amount of time is never an absolute surety.


I am currently in a situation with a recovering gelding. A torn check ligament at Regionals brought our show season to an abrupt halt, but he is definitely on the mend. Although it hasn't been ideal for me, the worse part is how 'Will' is dealing with his sudden lifestyle change. He looks at me with big, sad eyes, which I imagine to be wondering why I never ride him when I come out to barn anymore. He whinnies and stares endlessly into the pastures outside his window, longing to feel the grass under his hooves and grinding between his teeth. I wish I could explain that soon, he will be able to go outside and work hard like he used to, but I'm afraid he doesn't speak English very well (that's next on the list).


He and I both long for the day that I can put my saddle on him and ride like we do in the show ring. Until then, it's hand walking, treats galore, and lazy summer days with my 'recovering' horse.





No comments:

Post a Comment