Thursday, August 11, 2011

Life After Youth


For those of you who have recently graduated from the youth division, I have some words of wisdom to keep you from spiraling into a "post-youth mourning phase" where you lament in your seemingly hopeless situation. Stay strong--I know what you're feeling. You already miss Youth Nationals, you know that aging out is the first step toward 'growing up,' and hey let's face it, you just don't like the way 18-39 sounds. I get it. But I have good news, my newly 'adult' friends. So here's your chance to get off the couch and put that pint of Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey away, because guess what... There is life after youth! Your horses will still be there for you next year, and I promise, riding doesn't automatically get 'serious' or less thrilling outside the youth division.

I've been in the adult division for 3 years now, and I assure you that my love for showing hasn't died down in the least. I still look forward to every show I'm able to go to, and nothing is better than a summer day spent at the barn. These are the things that growing up with Arabians has instilled in me for the rest of life--something that getting 'old' will never take from me.

Even though your years as a youth slowly fade away, your love for horses will never fade. Your memories of showing with your friends, spending time with your lovable Arabians, and of course, Youth Nationals, will become memories to hold close to your heart for the rest of your life.


No comments:

Post a Comment