Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sidesaddle: The Ladies Sport

In my eyes, Ladies Sidesaddle is the most beautiful, and at the same time, most uncomfortable class to be a part of. I truly enjoy the femininity of the outfit and the sense of poise that it requires to make the picture just right, however, after a couple show seasons of riding Sidesaddle, I also understand and that it is anything but a pleasure or ease (especially at my horse's rocky trot). I often describe it as "awkward at best" as it includes a twisted torso, one short stirrup, and one leg firmly gripping the front horn all working together to create a facade of effortlessness and confidence. I firmly believe that the ladies who rode in this style hundreds of years ago were far superior riders than their male counterparts. Don't get me wrong... Sidesaddle does have its benefits. Ahem, the gorgeous outfits and hats. Take a gander at these pictures of both Victorian and more Contemporary Sidesaddle outfits:



Horsewoman riding side-saddle jumping a fence at the Moonta Show








Side Saddle




Side Saddle

tally ho!



No comments:

Post a Comment