Monday, July 11, 2011

Summer Lovin'

Summer, especially in the Midwest means a few things: 
1. No snow (finally) 
2. Hot, humid, and usually windy days 
3. More time to spend at the barn




The last of these is, of course, my favorite aspect of summer. I have the fondest memories spending entire summer days out at the barn, even if I only had one horse to ride. I would take my sweet time grooming and spoiling my horses with treats, and then ride in the outdoor arena with the hot South Dakota sun beaming down on me. It's such a feeling I get when I'm riding my horse outside, summer breeze against my face, not a care in the world. If I could, I would keep this feeling in my pocket and take it out whenever I need a pick-me-up. I'm convinced that there is not a thing in the world that inspires such pure happiness and inner peace. 








Time spent bonding with your horse, going on trail rides, taking them outside to graze, buttering them up with treats and affection- these are activities that not only strengthen the bond between you and your horse, but also create meaningful memories that you will never forget. My summers have always been horse filled and therefore, carry the finest memories of my life. I will always remember laying on the grass watching the clouds roll by, enjoying a cool Sprite, while my first horse, Justi, grazed next to me. We enjoyed each other and a relaxing afternoon outside. And since then, I've had many horses come and go, but the memories last forever.  







No comments:

Post a Comment